Saturday, November 11, 2006

Rerelease: Brubeck at Wilshire Ebell



I know this is not a vocal-jazz person. However, I feel the need to share that the ultra-rare album "Dave Brubeck at Wilshire Ebell" has been released on the Spanish label "Fresh Sound Records", probably without Brubeck's consent. He has always maintained that it should not be reissued.

The original LP album,


looks like this on CD.


Side A:
I’ll Never Smile Again
Let’s Fall In Love
Stardust

Side B:
All The Things You Are
Why Do I Love You
Too Marvelous For Words

Paul Desmond (sax), Dave Brubeck (piano), Ron Crotty (bass), Lloyd Davis (drums).
Recorded 1953.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Why Brubeck was against a reissue?

Daan Peters said...

Brubeck is against a reissue, because he felt that Paul Desmond played a solo that was below his usual high standard.
I've got the album for months now, and I've played it lots of times, and I haven't found any weak point in it, though I may be focussed more on the piano than on the saxophone player. With Dave's solos, nothing is wrong - it's comparable to the Pacific recordings of the time.

The album was recorded in 1953, released on red vinyl in 1957 and once or twice rereleased on black vinyl in 1960, 1961.
It runs for 38 minutes, the sound quality is fine, and it is Brubeck's last album on Fantasy records that had not been issued on CD.

It's a very enjoyable album! "What you see is what you get..."